1955 Jaguar XK140 MC OTS
1955 Jaguar XK140 MC OTS Roadster
Chassis no. S810902DN
Motor no. A62778
The Jaguar XK140 was a natural evolution of the famous XK120. Introduced in 1954 at Earl’s Court Motor show, the XK140 incorporated a number of changes and improvements to the earlier model. Most significantly was increased legroom and higher standard horsepower at 190, with 210 available with fitment of the optional C-Type racing head.
There were three different versions of the XK140. Standard cars with the 190 HP engine, single exhaust systems, disc wheels, and rear wheel covers. Next came the “Special Equipment” or SE models with the same engine, but with full dual exhaust system and knock off wire wheels. Also included were twin fog lamps and windshield washers. In the United States, this version was known as the 140M. Finally, the highest-specification SE model equipped with the C-Type head which became known as the XK140MC, as distinguished by an “S” prefix in their chassis numbers. Further, those cars equipped with the optional C-Type head were fitted with a plaque mounted on the passenger side dash, proclaiming that car as a replica of the car that had achieved 141 MPH at Le Mans.
In a short production window of slightly more than 2 years a total of 8,936 chassis were built in all performance variations, and made available with three different body styles. First was the DHC (drophead coupe) with roll-up windows and jump seats; next was the FHC (Fixed Head Coupe); and last was the OTS (Open Two Seat Roadster), such as the car offered here, which had no exterior door handles or windows. Open Two Seat Roadster bodies were mounted on approximately 30% of the chassis.
The car presented here is the most desirable version of the XK140. As verified by its JDHT Heritage Certificate it is a true XK140MC OTS Roadster, the highest-specification offered with the more desirable and sporting coachwork. Originally delivered through Max Hoffman of New York in February 1955. It is offered from a 51-year ownership, having been purchased in July 1972 from Richard Willard of Leominster Massachusetts by the current owner’s husband as a Mother’s Day gift. The car was driven regularly as a summer car through the 70s, 80 and 90s, and in 2010 the owner made the decision to change the factory colors of black with red interior to the current blue on blue which displays quite well. Currently fitted with a replacement engine A62778 with “C” Type head G2934-8S. However, most importantly the original, rebuildable “C” head is included in the sale of the car. It is fitted with its original identification plate and body number tag.
Also installed on the car are chrome XKE wheels which were an aesthetic decision by the current owner; the original XK140 painted spoke wheels are also included in the sale. Recent sorting includes a tune up, brake job, fluid change and over 400 miles of driving. This car additionally comes with a soft top, tonneau cover, side curtains, owner’s manual, shop manuals, and a complete set of documentation including the aforementioned Heritage Certificate as well as invoices spanning over 50 years of ownership.
- There are no features available