1914 Lozier Type 77 Five-Passenger Touring
Chassis No. 8215
Engine No. 8207
36.06 rated hp, 389 cu in. L-head inline six-cylinder engine, three-speed manual transmission with reverse, front and rear semi-elliptical leaf suspension, and rear-wheel mechanical drum brakes. Wheelbase: 127½ in.
Famously advertised as “The Quality Car for Quality People,” the Lozier automobile was introduced in 1900 by the prominent Plattsburgh, New York industrialist, Henry A. Lozier, a former sewing machine and bicycle automobile who had later turned quite profitably to marine engines. Following the senior Lozier’s passing in 1903, his son Harry succeeded and in short order Lozier began turning out robustly constructed, beautifully engineered automobiles that were among the very finest in the world. Designed by the brilliant John Perrin, Lozier cars were typically quite powerful and proved very successful in competition; it was a Lozier that controversially finished second (or did it?) in the first Indianapolis 500, and another set a world record for covering 100 miles in 1 hour, 14 minutes, and 29 seconds.
Lozier relocated to the automotive haven of Detroit in 1910, and continued to build fine cars there until 1915, when the departure of several executives proved its downfall. It is estimated that the firm hand-built fewer than 4,000 automobiles during its lifetime; about thirty remain extant worldwide, many of them part of some of the very finest and prestigious collections.
The Type 77 offered here is a wonderful example of the late Lozier automobile, a stately five-passenger Touring with rear-mounted spare. It is equipped with a 35-horsepower L-head six-cylinder engine, cast in two sets of three, with shaft drive and such advanced-for-the-time features, dual side mirrors, and a twelve-volt electric starter.
Its early history dates to the early days of the hobby, when in 1951 it was listed as being owned by AACA member H.J. Brownawell of Park City, Montana. It was later owned by Jeff Lozier, grandson of its namesake, and subsequently spent over a decade on exhibition in the Champlain Valley Transportation Museum in the company’s hometown of Plattsburgh.
The restoration is older now, with appropriate patina visible to the finishes throughout, but it remains handsome and solid, with its excellent ivory paint and blue wheels set off by beautiful nickel trim and the extremely high-quality blue leather interior which has deep and comfortable diamond tufting, and is appropriately stuffed with horsehair as it was originally.
In the current ownership it has been treated to extensive service and sorting by brass era specialist Jeff Keysor, whose work included a rebuild of the top end of the motor and wiring repairs to ensure that all of the electrical systems function as new; invoices totaling nearly $20,000 are on file. The result of this work is obvious with a look under the hood at the tidy and handsome engine bay. The car performs as well as it looks by starting easily and running extremely well down the road.
As presented, it could be proudly displayed at nearly any event as a representative of the revered Lozier marque, or with its recent sorting, would be thoroughly usable on any number of Brass Era tours to which this Lozier would be most warmly and happily welcomed.
Nearly 110 years later, it remains a quality car, ready for a quality person.
- There are no features available