1941 Cadillac Model 62 Convertible
Chassis No. 8362757
Body Style: 6267D
Body no. 2945
150 bhp, 346 cu. in. L-head V8 engine, four-speed Hydra-Matic transmission, coil spring independent front suspension, live rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs, and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 126 in.
Cadillac presented a bold new front for 1941. Headlights, formerly in pods nestled between the front fenders and grille, were now fully integrated into the fenders, and a horizontal-theme grille stretched from side to side. The hood was made front-opening for the first time, and the gas tank filler was hidden in the left rear tail light, a feature that became a Cadillac hallmark. The 346 cubic inch V8 engine now made 150 bhp, thanks to higher compression, and General Motors’ new fully-automatic Hydra-Matic transmission, test-marketed in 1940 by Oldsmobile, became available in Cadillacs..
While many manufacturers offered convertibles only in their most expensive series, Cadillac’s only convertible coupe was usually in the mid-level 62 Series. Such was the case in 1941, when this handsome model was manufactured. Equipped with a vacuum-powered convertible top, it was available only as a Deluxe model, which included rear fender skirts and other décor items.
Factory records show that this 1941 Cadillac Convertible Coupe was ordered through the Chicago distributorship and shipped on June 26, 1941. Options included the $95.00 Hydra-Matic transmission, wheel trim rings at $4.50 and concealed running boards, a no-cost alternative to conventional external boards. Additional equipment, likely installed by the dealer, includes a push-button AM radio and Cadillac’s Automatic Heating System. The latter features thermostat-controlled temperature as well as outside ventilation and a windshield defroster.
The current owner acquired the car some ten years ago. It had been restored to its original configuration of McKinley Gray metallic paint with beige and blue leather interior. In 2007, the 1948 engine that was in the car was replaced with a correct rebuilt pre-war powerplant, and ancillary items were rebuilt as necessary. The transmission was also rebuilt. The car has been driven about 5,000 miles since this work was done.
The car was thoroughly mechanically refreshed in 2012, including new springs, shock absorbers, steering box, refurbishment of the top mechanism and adjustment of all linkages and fasteners. The fuel system was thoroughly cleaned and the tank and sending unit were replaced. Doors were adjusted and new striker plates fitted, and the power top mechanism was rebuilt.
The top was replaced in 2016 with blue Haartz Sonnedeck cloth with tan backing. Other work at this time included rebuilding the carburetor, replacement of exhaust gaskets and installation of a new, correct dipstick. All lighting circuits were groomed and repaired as necessary. The car now runs and drives well.
Cadillac’s 1941 models have a simplicity of design that was somewhat lost in later models. This car is an excellent example, ready to show, tour or simply enjoy. Recognized by the Classic Car Club of America as a Full Classic, it is eligible for all Club activities and CARavan tours.