1935 Lincoln Model K Convertible Sedan
This important Lincoln is emerging from a comfortable, 60-year ownership, the 1935 Lincoln Model K Brunn Convertible Sedan on the 145-inch wheelbase, built for Miss Eleonora Randolph Sears. It’s in the Dammann Lincoln-Mercury book and Bev Kimes’ book, but has been hidden in a private collection since the owner, then a 22-year-old sailor, bought it in 1956. Bought by a local hotelier when Miss Sears sold her MA estate in 1953, he kept the car till ’56, when he ran an ad in the N.Y. Times Antique Cars For Sale section. The young sailor responded to the ad but the two couldn’t get together on a price at the time, but finally did later.
He called Hermann C. Brunn once to talk about the Lincoln, and was told that he went with his father Hermann A. to deliver the design sketches to Miss Sears at her Boston town home. The current owner was in Boston in the late-’50’s while still in the Navy and went to the same town house, but Miss Sears was out of town; he’d looked her up in the phone book, and the maid said she would have loved to talk about the car had she been in.
What sets the Lincoln apart from others is that it’s one-of-one. That, and its level of originality and history. He started to put the top down right after the ’59 repaint, but the leather windlace started cracking, so the top’s not been down in 60 years; hard to believe but true.
The aluminum wheel discs were gone before the 1956 purchase, and the sidemount covers and blue V12 disc wheel cover emblems were added in 1959. The car was originally equipped with red V12 disc emblems all ’round, and the only one remaining is on the trunk rack. The Trippe lights were put on in the ’70’s, but they and the turn signals were sensitively installed.
The Lincoln has 24K miles, original interior and top, one repaint in ’59 when the bumpers were chromed, and a rebuilt engine about two years ago. The carpet was replaced, but the trunk carpet is original and has a division window. It still has the original double-whitewall tires under the sidemount covers, and the body is bank vault solid with interior hardware in remarkable condition. The hole in the dash is where Miss Sears had a St. Christopher’s medallion, which she kept when the car sold in ’53.