Original 1935 Advertisement
1935 Lincoln K Series 541 Sedan
Chassis no. K4223
Motor no. K4223
150 bhp, 414 cu. in. L-head V-12, three-speed manual transmission, front and rear semi-elliptic leaf springs with full floating rear axle, and Bendix four-wheel power-assisted drum brakes. Wheelbase: 136 in.
In 1935 Lincoln moved the coachwork on its 145-inch and 136-inch chassis forward by several inches, offering an improved ride and lower center of gravity. The Series 541 represented the shorter 136-inch wheelbase and as such was used for two-door and close-coupled four-door bodies like this lovely sedan.
Only 170 examples of this two-window, five-passenger Style 543 were produced. According to a copy of its Lincoln Automobile Record supplied by The Benson Ford Research Center, this car chassis K4223 was shipped Feb 18, 1935 and was originally finished in Paris Grey. It’s history is quite interesting, having always been a well-kept Massachusetts car from new and owing to its thoughtful caretakers even retains all of its original interior.
Fortunately, its story can be told thanks to an original Massachusetts vehicle registration document which identifies an E. Pardee from the affluent beach community of Harwich Port, Cape Cod. Genealogical research reveals this owner to be Edith Pardee, a lady whose father was a notable coal baron from Hazleton, Pennsylvania and also one of the founders of Lafayette College. Miss Pardee visited Hazleton often so it is likely that many miles were accrued on trips between the Cape and Eastern Pennsylvania. In 1946 Miss Pardee passed at the age of 83 and her Lincoln, barely a decade old, likely remained locally for some time thereafter.
In the 1950s or 1960s it was acquired by Daniel Baird Wesson II, great-grandson of the inventor and firearms manufacturer of Smith & Wesson fame. Under Wesson’s ownership it was reportedly stored in a warehouse behind the Roosevelt Avenue S&W factory in Springfield where Wesson family members kept personal property. After leaving S&W in 1963, he founded his namesake Dan Wesson Arms in 1968. Around this time it was acquired by well-known parts purveyor Nelson B. Pease of Palmer, who collected the car from Wesson at the warehouse.
Pease sold it to John Brill of Westfield. Under Brill’s ownership the car was cosmetically restored in its current shade of Ascot Maroon and it remained with his family for the ensuing five decades. Amazingly the interior remains 100% original, owing to the good care and service it received under a small number of conscientious owners. The odometer records 76,000 original miles, and the car has recently been cosmetically detailed as well as having received a basic mechanical service and inspection. Starts easily, runs great, drives nicely.
The sale of this car is accompanied by copies of its delivery documentation, early registration record, biographical information on the Pardee family, as well as a photo from the 1960s showing its excellent condition at the time. Mrs. Pardee’s Lincoln represents exceptional value as a multi-cylinder CCCA Full Classic and would be a wonderful entry-level tour car. Become a member of the Lincoln Owners Club and the Lincoln & Continental Owners Club (LCOC)