1930 Ford Model A Roadster Pickup
Chassis No. A3700980
Body Style 76-B
40 bhp, 200.5 cu. in. L-head inline four-cylinder engine, three-speed manual transmission, solid front axle and live rear axle with transverse semi-elliptic leaf springs, and four-wheel mechanical drum brakes. Wheelbase: 103.5 in.
Ford Motor Company added a pickup model to the Model T line in 1925. Owners had improvised them from passenger cars for many years, so the newly-available factory models became very popular. Production in 1926, the last full year, surpassed 75,000. These were all of open cab or “roadster” configuration.
When the new Model A bowed in late 1927, the line naturally included a pickup. Essentially a Model A version of the T pickup, it was of Open Cab configuration, as Ford called it. The bed was a direct T carryover and was mated to the rear fenders used on Model A coupes and roadsters. The top, although similar to that of roadsters, was fixed in place. Matching side curtains were supplied, but like all early open Model As there were no outside door handles. Finally, in August 1928 a Closed Cab pickup was introduced, with the rectangular “phone booth” cab that characterized Ford’s heavy Model AA commercials.
For 1930, the commercial body styles adopted the passenger cars’ restyling in incremental stages. The 76-A cab for the open pickup continued, but in June both Open and Closed Cab styles were updated. The 82-B Closed Cab models used front sheet metal from the Tudor sedan, while the 76-B Open Cab style took pieces from the Standard Roadster. There were now exterior door handles and a new top, which was removable, but did not fold.
Open Cab Pickups remained in production through the Model A’s lifetime and beyond, although the comfort of the Closed Cab came to dominate the market. The last Open Cab Ford pickups, just 347 of them, were produced in 1934.
The current owner, a prominent collector of rare Model As, restored this Open Cab Pickup himself. Presented in Rubelite Red, a new color for trucks introduced mid-year, it has authentic Straw body pinstriping and traditional black fenders and wheels. It has the correct black-painted steel radiator shell used on Model A light commercials; over the years many have been replaced by the more durable stainless steel shells from passenger cars. Following restoration it has received AACA First Junior, Senior and Grand National honors. These were followed by Senior Grand National and Repeat Senior Grand National awards. Most recently, it has achieved seven Preservation Awards.
The body contours are perfect and the paint is superb. The top is done in correct grained artificial leather, similar to that used on the seat. The engine compartment and undercarriage are correctly and immaculately detailed, right down to the tapered original-equipment style tapered muffler. The tires are correct 4.75 x 19 Firestone blackwalls, with a sidemount spare on the left. Included are side curtains with correct mounting rods, for use in inclement weather.
The truck starts easily and runs exceedingly well. As with all well-tuned Model As, at idle speed and retarded spark you can count each cylinder firing. Built in June 1930, this is among the first of the updated Open Cab Pickups. With just 3,429 built, this1930 Ford Model A Roadster Pickup is also one of the rarest, the ideal addition to any Model A collection.