1911 EMF Studebaker 30 Touring
1911 Studebaker-E-M-F Model 30 Touring
Motor No. 27209
30 hp, 226.2 cu. in. L-head inline four-cylinder engine, three-speed manual rear transaxle, solid front axle, leaf spring suspension, and rear-wheel mechanical drum brakes. Wheelbase: 108 in.
The E-M-F was the product of three veterans of the early Detroit automobile industry: Barney Everitt, who had made his name producing bodies; Walter Metzger, a salesman known for his work at Cadillac; and Walter Flanders, former production manager for Ford. The affordable mid-priced automobile they introduced was distinguished by the quality of its finishes and sturdy construction, which are certainly some of the reasons that this particular E-M-F has survived in such good original order since 1911: It was built to!
The car is badged as a Studebaker-E-M-F, result of a distribution agreement with the South Bend automaker that saw Studebaker handle, in some years, half of the total Detroit E-M-F factory’s production run. Legal difficulties would eventually ensue, resulting in Studebaker taking over the E-M-F factory entirely, but at the time of this car’s construction in 1911, the relationship was still largely a happy one.
The car was acquired by its current owner from Paul Teutul, Jr., who had purchased it from Frank Castella of Poughkeepsie, New York. Mr. Castella, in turn, had bought the car from well-known hobby figure, David Mihalko of Restoration Specialties of Windber, Pennsylvania. According to his son, Jeff, Mr. Mihalko had traveled specifically to acquire the car at the estate auction of Earl Muir’s collection in Ligonier, Pennsylvania, in May 2007. Mr. Muir was a noted figure in the Antique Automobile Club of America, as a former national director who welcomed many enthusiasts to tour his private automobile museum.
With an eye towards Preservation Class exhibition, the E-M-F has been carefully conserved as its previous owners had maintained it, in “barn fresh” condition. Much of the original black finish remains intact on the wooden touring car body, while the interior is the original button-tufted leather, in heavily patinaed but solid and intact condition – remarkable given the 108 years that have passed since its installation! The original brass door handles are still in place, as are brass Edmund & Jones sidelights and headlamps, Stewart Warning Signal horn, the windshield, and the top, which has been recovered over the original bows. Several tools are still housed in the running board box, alongside a water jug in its fenced carrier. Amusingly the spare tire seems to have been mounted to the car in-period, and to have not yet been removed! Underneath and under the hood are neat and tidy, with only surface rust visible; the wiring appears to have been replaced more recently, for safety. The Warner Auto-Meter speedometer/odometer records 70,550 miles.
Restoration? Do not dream of it – this is a Brass Era automobile that deserves to be maintained as it sits, proudly and still almost entirely original, exactly as it has survived for over a century. It is sure to be the center of attention at any event it attends, handily drawing the eyes of onlookers from even the shiniest fresh restorations.