1909 Pierce Arrow 36 Runabout.
Model UU. 36 hp, 386.5 cu. in. T-head six-cylinder engine, four-speed manual transmission, solid front axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs and live rear axle with three-quarter elliptic leaf springs, and two-wheel mechanical drum brakes. Wheelbase: 119 in.
This was the pre WW1 vision of a sports car: low, elemental, powerful, and responsive. Right hand drive like all proper automobiles of the time, it is awash with bright work from the brass radiator, copper plated Rushmore acetylene headlights, brass Solar kerosene side lights, bold eagle radiator mascot, steeply raked copper steering column, drum style speedometer, and highly polished copper hood. Finished in deep green with matching green tufted leather upholstery on its three seats. It has been outfitted for convenient touring with an electric starter, discretely hidden alternator, and fire extinguisher.
This 36 horsepower Model UU Pierce-Arrow was the last car purchased by George Grew during his lifetime. He bought it from Bob Robinson, a professional restorer in Schwenksville, Pennsylvania, in 2004. It had been discovered in the 1940s by Warren Kraft on Long Island. Winford Smith made the car operable, mounting a serviceable but inauthentic body. After passing through the collection of James Bragg in Connecticut, it was purchased by Robinson for his personal collection. In 2002, he completed the painstaking and thorough restoration that it wears today, including the body, which is an exact replication of the 1909 Pierce Runabout. Recent owners include Mark Hyman and Dick Shappy.
The car was recently shown at the 2013 Amelia Island Concours where it was awarded “Most Elegant Early Sports Car”. It is a concours quality automobile of the highest grade. A charismatic automobile that is exciting even while standing still. On the road, it is reliable, exciting, and quite fast.